Tuesday, July 12, 2011

More About Me (and my current graduate work)

As stated in my previous post (and as made obvious by my url address) I am a teacher. I did not always know I wanted to be a teacher. My undergraduate degree is in communication studies! I thought I was going to be the next Katie Couric or Meredith Veira. But, my senior year of college I was introduced to the program Teach For America. Teach For America is a two year program that takes college graduates who show great leadership skills. They believe that those who are great leaders (and are motivated to help others) will be great teachers. Teach For America places their accepted members into low income schools who are in great need of excellent teachers. My mom was a teacher in a low income school for most of her life. She loved her job and cared so much about her students. I guess the apple didn't fall to far from the tree because I felt called to Teach For America's mission. I applied, got accepted and became 2007 Teach For America corps member. I was placed at a middle school in rural North Carolina where I taught 8th grade science. I truly enjoyed my two years as a corps member and decided to stay on and teach for a third year at my placement school. After my third year of teaching, I decided that I wanted to continue working in education for my career.

I had to leave my original school because the army relocated my husband. His new assignment brought us to Tennesee. I was recently hired at a middle school here in TN where I will continue to teach science. Because I know I want to be in education, I decided this past January to pursue a masters degree in Educational Leadership. I love teaching but because of my strong leadership skills (or what my sister refers to as my "bossy nature") I definitely want to become an administrator of a school some day. This masters degree will give me the knowledge and certification I need to fulfill my goal of becoming a principal or assistant principal. This masters program is definitely keeping me busy but I'm learning a lot.

For more information about Teach For America please visit their website: http://www.teachforamerica.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment