Friday, August 3, 2012

Gym Etiquette

It is no secret that I've probably spent more time in the gym this summer than I have in a very long while. There are several reasons for this: 1. I actually had time to spare and 2. I've lost weight since January and I wanted to keep it off... However, that's not what this post is about. Having spent so much time in the gym, I've noticed a lot of people's  habits that really bother me/seem really rude!

So, let's talk about GYM ETIQUETTE!

1. There is clearly a sign that says "please limit your workout to 30 min during peak hours". That means, if you see people standing around waiting for a treadmill, be kind and give yours up after 30 min. Trust me, the ones waiting are very aware of how long your run has been going on!
2. Personal space is important. In a crowded group class, people often have to stand closer to others than they prefer. But, be respectful of HOW close you are standing to me in that class! If I can't put my hands out to the side without touching you, in my opinion, you are TOO CLOSE to me so BACK AWAY! haha
3. BE ON TIME to a group class. Nothing is more distracting than watching late folks walk in half way through the workout. AND,  If you are late, don't you dare come try to squeeze into the front row with me... go stand in the back with the other late people. Some of us got there 10 min early so we could get a prime spot in the front!
      (Can you tell I'm a little bitter about this??? there is a girl that is late every single week to my Wednesday/Thursday zumba class. She walks in 20 min after the class starts and ALWAYS marches right to the front to squeeze in right beside me! this breaks rule #2 and #3! Not only is she late, but she then takes up my personal space!)
4. This happened to me yesterday and may or may not have prompted this blog post... If I am standing somewhere clearly claiming my spot in a group class DO NOT come and put your purse right under my feet as if to claim your spot there too...talk about rude!

I'm starting to think that perhaps I should just take a video of all of my zumba instructors and then do the class in the comfort of my own home where no one will invade my personal space! haha

Are there things that people do at the gym  that bother you? If so, share them!

No comments:

Post a Comment